Housing Disrepair Claims

No Win No Fee solicitors to help you make a housing disrepair claim for issues you are experiencing in your rented home.

Start your disrepair claim here

What Is Housing Disrepair?

House disrepair is where you are you living in poor housing conditions due to neglect from your landlord, who could be the council or a housing association. Having reported problems with the rented property, including damp conditions, mould or broken windows, and the responsible person have failed to sort it out within a reasonable time, then it is considered as dispreair. We can help you get repairs carried out and claim for housing disrepair compensation.

Type of Repairs

Renting from housing association or the council, you could be experiencing any of the following property issues or other.

Water Damage

Leaking roof or pipes can cause serious water damage to your property

Mould Or Damp

Damp in rented homes is a common issue which can affect your health

Boiler Breakdown

A boiler breakdown is going to disturb your heating and your hot water supply

Faulty Electrics

Faulty electrical wiring and equipment is dangerous and can lead to death

Drainage Issues

Repair to drains and gutter is important to avoid major damage to property

Structural Damage

Structural cracks can worsen leading to collapse of wall and incur potential injury

Pest Infestation

Pests can spread disease and infection which can result in health issues

Broken Fittings

Broken furniture and fixtures can lead to injury which can be claimed for

Criteria For Disrepair Claim

Neglected By Your Landlord?

Tenants who suffered from neglect have had their homes restored and recovered £1000s of housing disrepair compensation and refund of rent where possible. Let us help you.


“The house is so much better and safer for my child. Thank you for your help and the £1248 compensation was a great bonus!”
Mark Allen
“Fantastic effort in fixing all the major problems in the flat and forcing the landlord to take action. Thank you Claimplus!”
Paul Burrow
“I still can't believe I got compensation for the housing disrepair which I had to suffer for 2 years. Good work and will pass your details on if needed.”
Melanie Clark

Frequently Asked Questions

Generally, a housing disrepair case usually takes between 6 – 12 months from initial client consultation to compensation being paid. Sometimes, the landlords will quickly carry out the repairs after reading the first correspondence from the solicitor and the case would complete within 3 months. Yet at other rare times, more complex cases can take much longer than 9 months. If the council or the hosuing association can agree to the works that is required at the property with no support from external experts, then disrepair claims can take on average 6 months to complete.
You may claim housing disrepair compensation if you are renting a property that does not belong to you. This can be the council or a social housing provider. When a free assessment is carried out, our panel of housing disrepair solicitors can inform you the success of your case. Each case is assessed on an individual basis as it needs to meet certain criteria such as:
  • The extent of the housing disrepair
  • Whether you rent your home privately, from the council or through a housing association
  • How your health has been affected by the issues you face
  • The length of time the deterioration has been present
  • When the landlord was told of the problems and how many times
  • What actions the landlord has taken to remedy the issues

The rent deduction system is applied to calculate the housing disrepair compensation. Taken into consideration is the length you have been complaining to the landlord about the defects, how much rent you pay and the suffering you endured as a result of living in an unsuitable property.

Minor suffering attracts a 10-15% reduction in rent and severe suffering can reach 50%, although in seldom extreme cases 80% reduction has been made. An initial consultation with us can provide you with a more accurate compensation that you may be awarded.

Continuing to pay your rent is the best course of action. A claim for housing disrepair is not always valued at the full amount of rent payable. Disrepair is normally calculated as a percentage reduction in the rent. With a lot of legislations surrounding disrepair claims, it is very difficult to assess a value of a claim without first assessing the facts or evidence so the rent is still payable but can be refunded if the claim is successful.

There is a risk that the landlord can take you to court as a counterclaim if you withhold rent. It is possible that the housing disrepair will not clear the rent owed and can trigger an eviction instead of fixing the disrepair at the property.

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 specifies the responsibilities of a landlord and the important role they uphold to ensure their tenants are safe in their property. If a rented property is in disrepair, a suffering tenant can possibly make a claim under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act. The relevant legislation clearly states that it is the landlord’s duty to keep an accommodation in a good state and carry out necessary repairs in the property to keep it safe.

Repairs must be carried out in a reasonable period of time, where required, to the property’s structure and exterior which includes the roof, walls, windows and doors. There many other items that are covered including sinks, toilet, shower or baths, the plumbing and drainage, heating, boilers and electrical systems. Tenants are not expected to pay for any of the repair work that the landlord is responsible for.

The evidence you need for a successful housing disrepair claim and to strengthen your case includes:

  1. Your tenancy agreement
  2. Photographs of the disrepair or damage
  3. Any correspondence between you and your landlord – emails, Whatsapp, texts, letters
  4. A medical report of your health issues if possible
  5. Any other official evidence which include something from a surveyor or an Environmental Health Officer